Are you familiar with the Android XR Developer Catalyst Program provided by Google? This is a developer support program designed to accelerate the adoption of Android XR, a new platform for AR/VR devices. Selected developers will receive hardware (development kits), technical support, and grants. The target devices include three categories: Audio Glasses, Display Glasses, and wired XR glasses (XREAL’s Project Aura). Application Deadline: June 30
Feeling that this was an opportunity I couldn't pass up, I applied with ideas to adapt two of my apps already released on Google Play for XR.
1st App: Procedure Checker
For the first app, I applied to adapt Procedure Checker (an SOP management app) for XR.
I always felt this app would have high compatibility with AR glasses. The main reason is the user need to "check procedures while both hands are full."
For instance, during cooking, assembly work, or medical procedures—it is practically impossible to check a smartphone while holding it. Constantly setting the phone down, checking it, and returning to work reduces operational efficiency.
With display glasses, the steps are constantly overlaid within the user's field of view, allowing them to check instructions without stopping their work. Furthermore, if the steps can be controlled via voice commands, it would achieve true hands-free operation.
My application focused on four core features: "Procedure List Selection," "Step-by-Step Overlay Display," "Voice-Controlled Step Operation," and "Context-Aware Procedure Suggestions Using GPS and Camera." I find the direction of the last suggestion feature particularly interesting, as it compensates for the "narrow input bandwidth" of a glasses interface through prediction. I imagine an experience where, for example, the relevant procedure automatically pops up when you approach a specific workbench.
2nd App: Smart Hide Launcher
For the second app, I applied with Smart Hide Launcher. This is also a launcher app already released on Google Play, and its core feature is to "filter the displayed apps based on the situation."
Since AR glasses have a limited amount of information they can display in the field of view, conventional launchers that line up an icon grid are not practical. I believe the concept of "showing only the apps needed at this specific location and situation" is a design perfectly suited for devices like audio glasses and display glasses.
The core features I proposed are: "Voice-Activated App Launching," "Minimal Overlay List Display and Launching," "Context-Aware Filtering Combining GPS, Camera Analysis, and Time of Day," and "Gesture-Activated Launching for Situations Where You Can't Speak." I'm envisioning an experience where transit apps come to the front during a commute, work apps take priority at the office, and apps can be launched via gestures during a meeting without touching any screen.
What's Next
At the moment, I am waiting for the review results. The selection results for the Android XR Developer Catalyst Program are said to be notified via email by July 15. If selected, I will be able to proceed with development using actual hardware, so I plan to document that journey on this blog as well.
I don't know how it will turn out, but I'll report back once the results are in!