I recently received the results of my application to the Android XR Developer Catalyst program. Unfortunately, my application was not selected. In this post, I'd like to share the outcome and explain how it affects my development plans going forward.
What is the Android XR Developer Catalyst Program?
The Android XR Developer Catalyst program is a developer support initiative by Google to help build the Android XR ecosystem. Developers who are accepted receive benefits such as access to Android XR hardware and technical support. As part of the application process, applicants must submit their proposed app or product concept for evaluation. I applied with a concept for an AR glasses application.
Application Result
Unfortunately, my application was not accepted. Since the program did not provide detailed feedback on why it was not selected, I don't know the exact reason for the decision.
Putting AR Glass Development on Hold
One of my goals in applying to this program was to use it as a starting point for serious AR glasses development. Since my application was not selected, I reconsidered both the difficulty of continuing development without access to actual hardware and the overall priority of the project. As a result, I've decided to put my AR glasses development on hold for the time being.
If I decide to resume Android XR development in the future, I'll do so after evaluating factors such as the availability of compatible hardware and the timing of any future opportunities to apply to the program again.